Why I care about autism awareness

by - Sunday, June 08, 2014

According to the CDC, approximately 1 in 68 children are diagnosed with autism.  If you don't know somebody with autism, you probably know someone affected by autism.
In high school, I spent my summers babysitting for my cousin's family.  One of their three children was diagnosed with autism. In college, I spent a summer doing respite care for a little girl with autism.  These experiences led me to my first post college job, where I spent two years as a behavioral therapist at the Rochester Center for Autism.  After I left RCA, I spent a year as a nanny for a family with two teenagers with autism and even lived with them for a summer.  Every child with autism that I have worked with has had a positive impact on my life. They have all taught me so much.  
These children and their families are the reason why I am so passionate autism awareness.  I want to give back. As I stated in my last post, on June 22, my brother and I are participating in a skydiving event to benefit  RT Autism Awareness Foundation. The purpose of this fundraiser is to continue to raise awareness.  I am so excited to be a part of it, but I still need to raise another $220, and I only have a week left! Please consider donating to this great cause. Every little bit helps. If you already donated, thank you so much for supporting the RTAAF!  All proceeds go directly to them and are tax deductible. 
You can easily donate online. 
My link: http://www.ministrysync.com/event/website/?m=1856320
My brother Adam's link: http://www.ministrysync.com/event/website/?m=1881734
I believe RTAAF has done (and continues to do) a lot of really great things for the community of Rochester.  They want everyone to be aware of how autism has an impact on more than just individuals with a diagnosis.  Autism has a huge impact on families as well. They frequently host events that promote awareness and education. For exmaple, the RTAAF just recently they took part in hosting Dr. Temple Grandin for a free presentation through Rochester Community Ed.  They also do a lot of things to directly support families affected by autism, through things like Proejct Lifesaver. For more info on the RTAAF, check out their website


You May Also Like

0 comments