Crochet Fun and Iowa trip stats

by - Sunday, January 27, 2013

I am very glad to be back in Rochester after a fun weekend in Iowa followed by an extra long drive due to the lovely winter icy mess today.  Ahmed and I debated all day about whether we should venture back or not.  We had decided to stay and even informed both of our [very understanding] employers, and then last minute decided to go for it.  It took a little extra time, but it wasn’t the worst trip we have made.
Speaking of which, during our long drive we did a little reminiscing about our worst trips back and forth.  Ahmed and I have been dating for six years.  For two of them I was in Iowa, and for the four that I have been here in Rochester, there continues to be frequent trips back to Iowa.  During our reminiscing, we estimated that between two of us, there have been approximately 100-120 round trips between NW Iowa and Rochester.  If we have made 120, that’s about 60,000 miles, and approximately 2,000-2,400 gallons of gas.  Yikes… We actually have been pretty fortunate that very few of our trips have included inclement weather :)
Most of our trips back to Iowa are rather purposeful (I can’t say the same for the trips during the long distance portion of our relationship :)  This weekend we headed back for a wedding to celebrate with some friends.  Congratulations to Tyler and Sarah!  It was a beautiful wedding and was fun to catch up with other friends at the wedding.  It is always great to spend time with this group of friends, they are some truly wonderful people!  With the frequency of weekends in Iowa, it makes me kind of sad how little time I spend with these awesome friends.  Most of our time is spent with family, and sometimes it’s hard to find a balance. 
When we don’t have whirlwind weekend trips to Iowa, things in Rochester are usually pretty quiet.  I have been finding that I have more free time than I would prefer.  I realize that most adults would love to have more free time, but I work by myself most of the day so all of the quiet time was starting to cause anxiety.  Last week, I decided I needed to find something to fill up my free time, because reading books just wasn’t doing at anymore.

I hauled the little monkey (sweet girl I nanny) to the store and bought supplies to learn how to crochet.  Thanks to youtube and google, I think I caught on rather quickly.  So far, I have really been enjoying it!  Here are a few fun projects I have started with:LucyEmma1Emma2James
Sorry for all the cell phone pics, I was lazy.   The first hat I attempted to make wasn’t perfect, but little monkey sure makes one cute bunny.  Emma’s hat was the most difficult, but I really love how it turned out.  The angry bird hat was perfect for James, and now he wants me to make him something orange :)  I also made a scarf, and am currently working on something for my other nephew Elvin. 
I really have found crocheting to be enjoyable, so hopefully that can keep me busy until our next whirlwind trip to Iowa.  We are headed back next weekend to celebrate my dad’s 50th birthday.  Here’s to hoping for better traveling weather!

You May Also Like

3 comments

  1. Wow! I'm super impressed! Those hats are awesome for your first projects! Usually people start with like a pot holder or something! :)Maybe I'll have to have you make something for the boys sometime!
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually did start with a pot holder, but I thought it was super boring so I moved onto hats :) I would love to make something for the boys!

      Delete
  2. I've been thinking about your infinity scarf and have decided you should open an Etsy shop and sell them!

    ReplyDelete