My first big DIY project

by - Tuesday, December 20, 2011

I have spent a little enough time on Pinterest in the past couple of months, and among other things I got the idea to make my own headboard.  I didn't actually use the idea I saw on Pinterest- with the help of a few creative people I came up with a unique plan.  After my dad cut the boards I needed to size, it wasn't that difficult. However I really don't see myself ever being a DIY fanatic- as much as I like the idea, I just don't have the patience!
It turns out I didn't take as many pictures as I thought I did, but here is a little of my headboard making process:I started out with a sheet of plywood for the main part of the head board and some 4x1 trim to frame and support it.  
My make shift workplace:  garbage/recycling cans and the plywood for the headboard




I used stain that matched the rest of the furniture in my bedroom and a polyurethane top coat.


With a layer of upholstery foam cut to size on the plywood I covered the entire thing with vinyl fabric (foam and fabric both from Hobby Lobby) and eventually wrapped the fabric around the back and stapled it in place.
Everything laid out- the white chunk of foam in the background is leftover from what I used



The trim boards were laid on top of the fabric around the edge of the foam and attached to the board with screws from the back of the plywood.  I then used hex bolts to attach the headboard to my bed frame.  Pretty nifty!  
The finished product


Close up of the headboard- I love it!
It actually turned out way better than I thought it would, and to make things better it was pretty inexpensive (especially since my dad gave me the plywood and trim from his own supply-thanks dad!).  Not too bad for my first project if you ask me :)

You May Also Like

1 comments