I am thankful for...

by - Tuesday, November 08, 2011

I love seeing blog posts and facebook updates from friends sharing things they are thankful for in the season of Thanksgiving.  I don't have the patience to update things every day, but I have actually been trying to remind myself of things I have to be thankful for in the past few months. I have so much to be thankful for, so why is it so easy to be unhappy? 
There are a few things I have been struggling with that make me feel unhappy.  I have to constantly remind myself of things like "God is in control," "it's not about me" and "God's plan is better than mine." These are all things that I have personally learned through experience many times.  God is always faithful and good; why do I need to keep reminding myself of that?  I often end up feeling disappointed in myself and frustrated that being content seems to be so difficult.Rejoice always, pray continually, give things in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.  -1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 The truth is, being content shouldn't be a struggle.  When I think of all I have to be thankful for, it's not difficult to come up with a big list.  Here is a small list of things I'm thankful for:
  • I have the most amazing family.  We are not perfect, and there's a lot of struggles within my family, but we can all be supportive of each other.  I love them all so much!
  • My mom is my best friend.  I admire her faith and courage and am thankful for her love and support.
  • I have a caring boyfriend.  I'm thankful that he has put up with me for almost five years- we have been through a lot together
  • I have two charming nephews and the sweetest niece ever.  I love spoiling them and am thankful for the pure joy that they bring to my life
  • I have a job.  Even if it's not what was in my plan- it's a really great job, and I enjoy what I do
  • My church
  • Friends
  • Music
  • Sunshine
  • Dessert
  • I could go on, but I need to go to bed, and I don't like really long posts :) 
Thinking of all of these things that I do have help me put things into perspective.  Even if my life isn't going the way I would like it to, it's still a pretty darn good life.   I am ultimately on this earth to serve God- not myself, and I know that He has a better plan than I do.  More than anything in my list, I am thankful for God's love and faithfulness.Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. Lamentations 3: 22-23

You May Also Like

0 comments